8.05.2008

ADVENTURES IN WALLYLAND

This morning while lazily walking through Wal-Mart I found a few discoveries. One I was actually impressed with, the other not so impressed. As everyone knows, it is the new trend of going green that has suddenly hit the shelves everywhere as marketers try desperately to get your money. Wal-Mart has unsurprisingly followed suit. Where I live is pretty rural so in order to get organic, all natural items I have to unwillingly drag my behind to this mass-brainwashing-super-giant. However, as much as I hate to admit it, sometimes they do surprise me with their selections. Other times though, I could scream at the person who runs the joint for being so ignorant. Then again, Wal-Mart doesn't care about the consumer, only about what sells. One week they will have a really great tasting organic treat, but if it doesn't sell too quickly or enough then its out the door the next week. Move it over, we gotta make more money boys! At any rate, beggars cannot be choosers. So, I greedily take whatever organic, all natural goodies I can get and go about my merry little way. (But the guilt keeps brewing inside as I hand over our hard earned cash.)


During my adventures of WallyLand this morning, I spied a little surprise. BPA free baby bottles! I have no business in on that isle as my son is well past that stage, but I was curious and thought I would see if people even have the option of buying BPA free bottles here. And I guess they do! Though, they are slim pickin'. Only two choices out of about 20 different bottles. Although, they were available at great prices, as this is Wal-Mart's motto. Why cant Wal-Mart go totally BPA free so that Moms who aren't informed of the dangers don't accidentally buy the BPA laced bottles? Again, if Mr. Wally is making his dough, that is all that matters.



As I left the Baby Section and headed to my actual destination of the Cereal Isle, I was disappointed yet again with the likes of Wal-Mart. In a sea of sugary puffs and chocolate dreams, I found only a handful of healthy cereals. And I'm talking the REALLY healthy cereals, not the claim-to-be-healthy kinds that are chalked full of sugar and enriched crap. Did you know that Cheerios, which claims to reduce cholesterol, is loaded full of unhealthy ingredients. I want more options, Wal-Mart! I love my Kashi cereal, dont get me wrong but come on guys, Im getting sick of eating the same old, same old. And by the way ladies and gents, General Mills new advertising campaign saying that you need more grains and their cereal is a great source, is WRONG! Just read the labels people. Companies will say and do anything to get your money, this is no new concept. All Im saying is be informed so you don't get the wool pulled over your eyes in the end.

These were just a couple of the items I felt compelled to discuss today, however I feel the need to get the word out there about these sleazy companies stealing your money and feeding you lies. I do believe I will be writing more on this subject in time to come. So, stay updated by checking back often. I am determined to inform the uninformed, as I was an uninformed person myself once.



No comments: